Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and loaded with just the right amount of heat, these Spicy Fried Chicken Wings are the ultimate indulgence for any spice lover. A spicy batter clings to the wings and gets super crisp! You're going to love them.
Are you ready for a flavor explosion that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy? Look no further than this Spicy Fried Chicken Wings recipe!
Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and loaded with just the right amount of heat, these wings are the ultimate indulgence for any spice lover.
Whether you're looking to impress your friends at a party, or game day, or simply craving a delicious snack, this recipe is sure to satisfy you.
So roll up your sleeves, grab your apron, and get ready to dive into a world of mouth-watering flavor with these spicy fried chicken wings!
Serve them up alongside Lemon Pepper Wings and Buffalo Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings for an epic wing night!
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- Delicious flavor: Spicy fried chicken wings offer a tantalizing combination of crispy texture, juicy meat, and a spicy kick that makes for a truly irresistible taste.
- Versatility: Spicy fried chicken wings can be enjoyed as a snack, appetizer, or main course. They are perfect for game-day gatherings, parties, and family dinners.
- Customizable heat: You can adjust the level of spiciness to your personal taste by varying the amount of hot sauce or cayenne used in the recipe.
- Easy to make: This recipe requires only a few simple ingredients and can be prepared in less than an hour.
- Crowd-pleaser: Spicy fried chicken wings are a surefire hit - they're always the first to go at our potlucks and parties!
- Affordable: Chicken wings are relatively inexpensive compared to other meats, making this dish an affordable option for feeding a large group of people.
- Chicken Wings: You need 3 pounds of chicken wings for this recipe. If you're using frozen wings, then thaw them safely first.
- Buttermilk: for that perfect moisture and tang.
- Hot Sauce: Use your favorite variety. I use Frank's original.
- Cayenne pepper: You can substitute chili powder or chili flakes.
- Flour: To thicken the buttermilk batter and get the chicken wings nice and crispy.
- Garlic Powder and Salt: For more seasoning flavor.
- Oil: For frying. I use vegetable oil.
See the recipe card for the full method and quantities.
If you're wondering how to make this fried chicken wings recipe, don't worry, it's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels and set aside.
Stir half of the flour (1 cup) with the cayenne, garlic powder and salt in a bowl.
In another bowl, stir the remaining flour (1 cup) with the buttermilk and hot sauce. Be sure to mix it well so that there are no lumps in the batter. The batter should drip slowly from the spoon, if it's too runny, stir in a little more flour.
Coat the chicken wings in the flour mixture, then in the wet batter. Repeat with all the wings.
Heat 2-3 inches of oil to 375°F (190°C) in a deep pot or fryer.
Cook the chicken wings in batches. Use tongs or a metal slotted spoon to carefully place the wings into the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes, then use the tongs to turn each wing over and fry for a further 5 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
When done, the meat should register 165°F in the thickest part using a digital thermometer.
Remove each cooked wing and drain on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Serve and enjoy!
Sauces to Serve with Your Fried Wings
Dipping sauces take wings to the next level! Try some of these:
- Ranch Dip: This classic dipping sauce is a crowd-pleaser and pairs well with the mild flavors of chicken wings.
- Blue Cheese Dressing: Another classic option, blue cheese dressing is a tangy and creamy accompaniment that adds a flavorful contrast to the spiciness of the wings.
- Honey Mustard Sauce: This sweet and tangy sauce offers a delicious flavor that complements the crispy texture of the wings.
- BBQ Sauce: The smoky and slightly sweet taste of BBQ sauce is a great match for the savory flavor of fried chicken wings. Our favorite is good ol' Bullseye.
- Buffalo Sauce: If you're looking for an extra kick of heat, a spicy buffalo sauce made with hot sauce, butter, and vinegar is the perfect choice.
- Garlic Parmesan Sauce: A rich and creamy garlic parmesan sauce made with butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese is a tasty dipping option that adds a touch of indulgence to the wings.
- Lime Crema: This zesty creamy sauce is a great contrast to the spicy fried chicken wings.
Like your wings super crispy? After draining them, let them cool for a couple of minutes, then re-fry them for a further 5 minutes.
Be sure to subscribe to my free Newsletter and follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for more tasty recipes!
Spicy Deep Fried Chicken Wings
- Deep Pot or Fryer
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (I use Frank's)
- vegetable oil for frying
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Stir half of the flour (1 cup) with the cayenne, garlic powder and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the remaining flour (1 cup), buttermilk and hot sauce.Be sure to mix it well so that there are no lumps in the batter. The batter should drip slowly from the spoon, if it's too runny, stir in a little more flour.
- Coat the chicken wings in the flour mixture, then in the buttermilk batter. Repeat with all the wings.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil to 375°F (190°C) in a deep pot or fryer.
- Cook the chicken wings in batches. Use tongs or a metal slotted spoon to carefully place the wings into the hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes, then use the tongs to turn each wing over and fry for a further 5 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- When done, the meat should register 165°F in the thickest part using a digital thermometer.
- Remove each cooked wing and drain on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
This is what I'm talking about! Love chicken wings and love spicy! I see my husband and I making these often!
Okay this recipe is a winner! Love when it's both easy and delicious!
These wings sure do have a perfect kick of spice! I love it though. And the batter turned out perfectly crispy.
These wings were so good. You had me at spicy and easy recipes are my go to! Made these this weekend for a family party and everyone loved that they were fried.
My family loves chicken wings, and these ones were amazing! We have a soft spot for fried food and these deep fried wings were perfection!