With this tasty Chocolate Chip Edible Cookie Dough recipe, you can indulge in your guilty pleasure without any worries! This recipe is not only safe to eat raw, but it's also easy to make in 10 minutes with just 7 simple ingredients.
Who doesn't love sneaking a spoonful of raw cookie dough when baking? I know I do!
Well, with this delicious eggless chocolate chip edible cookie dough recipe, you can indulge in your guilty pleasure without any worries!
This recipe is not only safe to eat raw, but it's also easy to make and customizable to your liking.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a batch of this creamy, sweet, and oh-so-addictive cookie dough in no time.
You can then use it in ice cream, crumbled onto desserts, or just eat it straight up with a spoon!
It has no eggs and the flour is cooked to ensure there aren't any harmful bacteria, so it's perfectly safe to indulge in this edible cookie dough!
So, put away the baking sheets and preheat the oven because we're about to show you how to make the ultimate chocolate chip cookie dough that's meant to be eaten straight from the bowl!
Why You Should Make This Recipe
There are several reasons why you might want to make chocolate chip edible cookie dough:
- Unlike traditional cookie dough, which can contain raw eggs and flour that pose a risk of foodborne illness, edible cookie dough is made with cooked flour and no eggs, so is therefore safe to eat raw.
- Chocolate chip edible cookie dough is easy to make.
- You only need a few simple ingredients.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough is a classic flavor that many people love, and edible cookie dough allows you to enjoy that flavor in a new way.
- Edible cookie dough can be eaten on its own as a snack, or used as a topping or filling for other desserts, such as ice cream or cupcakes.
- You can easily customize your edible cookie dough by adding in different mix-ins, such as nuts or candy (we love it with M&Ms, Reece's Pieces or mini eggs), or by using different types of chocolate chips, such as dark chocolate or white chocolate.
- All-Purpose Flour: You will need to briefly cook the flour in the oven to ensure that it's safe to eat raw. Instructions below.
- Butter - Ensure it's softened to room temperature. My top tip to soften it quickly is to grate it, like cheese, on a grater. It then softens in about 10 minutes.
- Brown and White Sugar - To sweeten up your cookie dough.
- Milk - I use whole or 2%, both work, as well as soy, almond etc...
- Vanilla - I like pure vanilla extract.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - or try other chips, like white, butterscotch, or dark.
See the recipe card for the full method and quantities.
What Does It Mean to Cook Flour?
Raw flour can potentially be contaminated with harmful bacteria, such as E. coli or Salmonella, which can cause foodborne illness if consumed.
The Centre for Disease Control says, "You can get sick if you eat unbaked dough or batter made with flour containing germs. Germs are killed only when flour is baked or cooked."
So, cooking flour is an important step in making raw recipes that include flour, such as edible cookie dough, to ensure that it is safe to eat.
When flour is cooked, it reaches a high enough temperature to kill any potential bacteria, making it safe to consume.
To cook flour for raw recipes, you can spread it out on a baking sheet and bake it in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5-10 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C). Once the flour has been cooked, it can be used in your recipe as normal.
If you're wondering how to make this chocolate chip edible cookie dough recipe, don't worry, it's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
First, you'll need to cook the flour since raw flour can sometimes have bacteria. But it's very easy.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the flour evenly onto a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes until the flour reaches 160°F with a food thermometer. Don't let the flour brown. Set the flour aside to cool.
Add the butter and both sugars to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Mix in the milk, vanilla, and salt.
Stir in the cooled cooked flour, then fold in the chocolate chips.
Serve and enjoy!
Edible cookie dough can be enjoyed in a variety of ways! Here are a few suggestions for how to eat edible cookie dough:
- Spoonfuls: The most straightforward way to eat edible cookie dough is to simply scoop it out of the container and eat it by the spoonful!
- Ice cream topping: Edible cookie dough makes a delicious topping for ice cream! Simply scoop a spoonful of cookie dough onto your favorite flavor of ice cream and enjoy, or mix it in!
- Mix-ins: You can add edible cookie dough to other desserts as a mix-in. For example, you can fold it into brownie batter before baking, or sprinkle it on top of a cheesecake before serving.
- Frozen Cookie dough bites: Roll the edible cookie dough into small balls and freeze them for a quick and easy snack. These cookie dough bites are perfect for on-the-go snacking or for satisfying a sweet tooth.
- Sandwiches: Create cookie dough sandwiches by spreading a layer of cookie dough between two cookies. This makes for a fun and delicious treat!
- Dip: Serve it as a dip (you may need to add more milk to make it looser), with Teddy Grahams or other cookies. We love serving it with Cookie Crisp cereal to dunk in it!
No matter how you choose to eat it, edible cookie dough is a tasty and versatile treat that's perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
- Swap the vanilla extract for another flavor, such as coconut, almond, mint...
- Instead of chocolate chips, mix in Reece's Pieces, m&ms, Smarties, mini eggs etc...
- Add in chopped nuts.
- Mix in shredded coconut.
- For a fun party theme, try funfetti and sprinkles.
- Make it vegan: Use vegan sugar, milk, and butter.
Be sure to cook the flour before making your edible cookie dough, to make sure it's safe to eat.
Regular cookie dough that contains raw eggs and flour could contain bacteria such as salmonella, however, this edible cookie dough is made without eggs, and the flour is cooked, so it's safe to eat.
Be sure to subscribe to my free Newsletter and follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for more tasty recipes!
Chocolate Chip Edible Cookie Dough
- Mixing bowl
- electric mixer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter ((1 stick) at room temperature)
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- First, you'll need to cook the flour since raw flour can sometimes have bacteria. But it's very easy.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the flour evenly onto a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes until the flour reaches 160°F with a food thermometer. Don't let the flour brown. Set the flour aside to cool.
- Add the butter and both sugars to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Stir in the cooled cooked flour, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Serve and enjoy!
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.