You're going to love this Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip! The mouthwatering dip combines the spicy flavors of buffalo sauce and creamy cooling ranch dressing with tender shredded chicken and melted cheese. Whether hosting a game night, potluck or simply craving a flavorful snack, this recipe is a must-try. Ready in just 30 minutes with 5 ingredients.
This Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip is a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer that is perfect for any occasion.
The combination of spicy buffalo sauce, creamy ranch dressing, and shredded chicken is simply irresistible. This dip is sure to be a hit at your next party or potluck.
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip holds a special place in my heart. I first came across this recipe when I was hosting a game night with friends.
I wanted to prepare something that would be a hit with everyone, and this dip turned out to be the star of the evening. The combination of zesty buffalo sauce, creamy ranch, and chicken was an instant hit, with my friends going back for seconds and even requesting the recipe.
It has since become a staple at our gatherings, and I can't help but smile when I see my friends eagerly digging into this addictive dip.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- The combination of buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and cheese creates a sensational flavor explosion that will keep you coming back for more.
- With just 5 simple ingredients and easy steps, this recipe is a breeze to make, even for beginner cooks.
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip can be served with a variety of dippers, including tortilla chips, breadsticks, celery sticks, or carrot sticks, making it suitable for different dietary preferences.
- This dip is guaranteed to be a hit at parties, family gatherings, and potlucks. It's a go-to recipe that will have your guests asking for seconds.
- Cooked Chicken: Shredded or diced cooked chicken serves as the protein base for this dip, adding a savory and tender texture.
- Buffalo Sauce: I prefer using Franks Buffalo Sauce for its authentic and tangy flavor, providing the perfect level of heat.
- Cream Cheese: Softened cream cheese brings a creamy and luscious element to the dip, balancing out the spiciness of the buffalo sauce.
- Ranch Dressing: The rich and tangy ranch dressing complements the buffalo sauce, adding a cool and refreshing component to the dip.
- Cheddar Cheese: This melty and gooey cheese adds a savory and satisfying element to the dip, enhancing its overall richness. Try swapping cheeses for a different flavor - smoked gouda, Monterey Jack, pepper jack etc...
- Blue Cheese (optional): For those who enjoy an extra burst of flavor, crumbled blue cheese can be added to the dip, offering a slightly tangy and salty note.
- Green Onions (optional): These fresh and vibrant green onions add a pop of color and a subtle onion flavor to the dip.
See the recipe card for the full method and quantities.
How to shred chicken
Shredding chicken is a simple process. Here's how to do it:
- Start by cooking your chicken until it is fully cooked and tender. You can boil, bake, or use a slow cooker to cook the chicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Using two forks, hold one fork in each hand and pierce the chicken with the forks. Pull the forks in opposite directions to shred the chicken. Continue pulling until all the chicken is shredded to your desired consistency.
If you're wondering how to make this buffalo ranch chicken dip recipe, don't worry, it's easy!
Just follow this step-by-step photo tutorial. Then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and recipe method.
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Shred or dice your cooked chicken, then add it to a bowl and stir in the buffalo sauce.
Stir in the softened cream cheese and ranch dressing, then stir in half of the cheese.
Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe 9x13-inch baking dish and spread it out evenly.
Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the dip. If desired, you can also sprinkle crumbled blue cheese for added flavor.
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the dip is hot and bubbly, and the cheese is melted, bubbling, and golden.
Once cooked, remove the dip from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle chopped green onions, if using.
- Classic Dip: Serve the dip with tortilla chips, breadsticks, celery sticks, or carrot sticks for a classic and satisfying snack.
- Sandwich Spread: Use the dip as a flavorful spread for sandwiches or wraps, adding a creamy and zesty kick to your lunch.
- Baked Potato Topping: Spoon the dip onto a hot baked potato, creating a mouthwatering and indulgent topping.
- Pizza Topping: Spread the dip onto a pizza crust then add additional cheese for a unique and delicious twist on pizza night.
- Spicy Kick: If you're a fan of extra heat, add extra buffalo sauce, or hot sauce.
- Mexican Twist: Incorporate Mexican-inspired flavors by adding a teaspoon of ground cumin and a handful of chopped cilantro to the dip. A little chipotle sauce is great too.
- Healthier Option: To reduce the calorie content, opt for low-fat cream cheese and ranch dressing, and use reduced-fat cheddar cheese.
If you have any leftover Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to three days.
When reheating, place the desired portion in a microwave-safe dish and heat in 30-second intervals until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Cooked Chicken: Use leftover roasted or grilled chicken for this recipe to save time. You can also use rotisserie chicken for added convenience.
- No leftover chicken? Just poach a few chicken breasts until cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165°F with a meat thermometer), then shred them with forks.
- Softening Cream Cheese: To quickly soften cream cheese, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can soften it in the microwave using the defrost setting for 10-15 seconds.
- Customize the Spice Level: Adjust the amount of buffalo sauce to suit your personal preference for spiciness. You can add more or less depending on how hot you like it.
- Garnish Options: Besides chopped green onions, you can also sprinkle some crispy cooked bacon bits or crumbled blue cheese on top of the dip for added flavor and visual appeal.
Yes, you can prepare the dip in advance and refrigerate it until ready to bake. Simply cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you're ready to serve, follow the baking instructions, adding a few extra minutes to account for the chilled dip.
I would not recommend freezing this dip, as the texture of the cream cheese and dairy-based ingredients may change upon thawing, resulting in a less desirable consistency. It's best enjoyed fresh or stored in the refrigerator for a few days.
Certainly! While cheddar cheese works beautifully in this recipe, you can experiment with other melty cheeses such as Monterey Jack or mozzarella for a different flavor profile. Feel free to get creative and combine cheeses for a unique twist.
Be sure to subscribe to my free Newsletter and follow me on Facebook and Pinterest for more tasty recipes!
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
- Mixing bowl
- 9x13-inch baking pan
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or diced)
- ½ cup buffalo sauce (I use Franks)
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Shred or dice your cooked chicken, then add it to a bowl and stir in the buffalo sauce.
- Stir in the softened cream cheese and ranch dressing, then stir in half of the cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe 9x13-inch baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the dip. If desired, you can also sprinkle crumbled blue cheese for added flavor.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the dip is hot and bubbly, and the cheese is melted, bubbling, and golden.
- Once cooked, remove the dip from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle chopped green onions, if using.
- Serve the Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip warm with tortilla chips, celery sticks, or carrot sticks for dipping.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.